Thursday, February 27, 2014

Aung San Suu Kyi: All political prisoners must be released


THE male voice on the other side of the telephone two weeks ago brought good news: Tempo’s request to interview Burma’s pro-democracy leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, got the green light. “But I remind you, everything is uncertain here. So come and take your chances,” said the voice of a member of the National League for Democracy (NLD), the political party led by Suu Kyi.

 
Tempo reporter Maria Rita Hasugian immediately flew to Bangkok, Thailand to get a visa to enter Myanmar. She was aided by a travel agency which got her a tourist visa, given that the Yangon government is still reluctant to let journalists into the country.

To a first-time visitor, the scene in Yangon, Myanmar’s biggest city, is like Indonesia during the 1970s. The cars driving around look like they are at least about 50 years old and unlike in other cities in the ASEAN region, not a motorcycle can be seen.

At the NLD headquarters the interview was far from a done deal. It seems requests to interview Suu Ky were piled high on the desk of someone taking care of the media, and it is Suu Kyi herself who decides on who she will see. On Friday last week, Tempo was informed that Suu Kyi would be available to be interviewed, following a Buddhist ritual of prayers and offerings to monks, to which our reporter was invited to attend. She welcomed Tempo warmly although her face showed signs of fatigue. “Indonesia is our close friend,” she said, by way of opening the dialog. Excerpts:

How does it feel to live in freedom?
Quite exhausting (laughing). In my mind, there is nothing different. While I was under house arrest, I felt free because everything I did was the result of my own choice. I also follow a very disciplined routine. I like living a life full of discipline. But now I am a free person and there is so much work that must be done, attend events that have been committed. So, it’s quite exhausting to be free. This is good, because it makes you appreciate the price one must pay for such a freedom. Freedom is not something that comes just like that.

Do you ever ask yourself why you were released?
No. Very simply, I think that by law, they can no longer extend my status as a detainee under house arrest. My sentence has to end. Of course, people say, well, they can do whatever they want. In fact, even though the sentence ended, they could easily have kept me in detention. But after all, this is the law.

Do you think your release will bring changes to this country?
No, if it depends only on my release. My release alone cannot change this country but my release together with other factors can change the country. One important thing is that all political prisoners must be released. More than 2,000 people are still in prison. The United States and a number of other countries have sought the release of all prisoners by Christmas this year. They must be released so they can participate in the political process of this country.

Have you discussed the release of political prisoners with the government?
We have been asking for the release of all political prisoners for the past 20 years.

In your opinion, has there been any progress to those demands?

They release only a few at a time. They have never done anything substantial, like giving amnesty to hundreds of political prisoners.

Do you think the government is serious about releasing all political prisoners?
So far, I don’t think so. There are no indications that the prisoners will be released but we must wait and see. I think we must continue to demand for their release.

How many among the 2,000 political prisoners are women?
There are about 420 women. This is quite a large number.

For years, the ethnic groups have fought to have their diversity recognized and for the right to live in Burma. This was recognized in the Panglong Agreement signed by your father, General Aung San and all the different ethnic groups in 1947. Yet the government seems to reject this.
Well, that is why we have asked the government for a second Panglong Agreement, because the conflict of ethnic groups in Burma has not been resolved. Conflicts between the government forces and ethnic groups are still going on along the border areas. Some have agreed to a ceasefire, because there has been no political solution. We offered a second Panglong Agreement, so that together with the views of each ethnic group, we can create the right spirit to achieve national reconciliation. I feel that the government has not accepted this and is not confident about the first Panglong Agreement, and that is why we submitted the idea of a second Panglong Agreement to be considered and discussed in parliament.

Will the government be willing to recognize the diversity and similarities between all ethnic groups in Burma?
I think this must be preceded by discussions. How can the future be decided if you don’t discuss important issues concerning those ethnic groups? The ethnic groups are a major factor and [the government] must sit and talk with them. That is what we have always maintained and so has the United Nations, that there must be discussions between the government, the NLD and all ethnic groups in this country. I think this would be the best step forward.

So reconciliation must begin with discussions?
Well, all ethnic groups say they would be happy if there could be first talks between the NLD and the government, then they will join in the discussions.

Next year, Indonesia will chair ASEAN. What do you expect from Indonesia and ASEAN?
We hope that the Indonesian government and ASEAN will urge the Burmese government to recognize the fact that an inclusive political process will lead to the good of the country. Only with such an inclusive political process will we have credibility in the eyes of the international community. I think this is important.

You don’t seem too pleased with ASEAN’s policy towards Burma so far?
It’s not that. We just want ASEAN to be more proactive and act more to convince the Burmese government that inclusive measures involving all parties in Burma is what we hope to have.

You spent years under house arrest. How did you spend your time?
My house was quiet and was just recently renovated. Before that, however, the house was not in such a good condition, so I spent my time working on the house, which is getting old. A lot of my time was spent listening to radio broadcasts which carry programs on Burma like the BBC, VOA, Radio Free Asia and the Democratic Voice of Burma. I listen to all the programs of those four radio stations every morning and evening. I listen to the radio almost six hours every day. When I feel tired I listen to the radio in by bedroom. I learned a lot on how to relate to people and what goes on out there.

We heard you also read the Harry Potter books.
That’s because my youngest son gave me a Harry Potter book. I read it because I have grandchildren and I want to know what young people today are reading. I did the same thing to my children when they were small.

What do you find interesting about those books?
If you read the Harry Potter books, you learn about universal values: people believing that good wins over evil. This encourages children to think that everyone who does good things will surely win. You will also read about timeless universal values, people believe in kindness, wisdom and courage.

What is your biggest fear? And what do you do to overcome that fear so you feel free?
My biggest fear is that the people of Burma stop believing in themselves. They must believe in themselves. The Burmese people must believe they can change their lives. I think this sense of self-confidence is growing and progressing.

You have seen your son Kim again, after such a long separation. But you are still separated from the rest of your family. What are your hopes about your own family?
Of course I am very happy to be with my son again. My situation is not as bad as those whose family members are political prisoners because my children live well and in safety. Some political prisoners worry about their families struggling to live. Those in prison go through very difficult times just thinking about their families who have nothing with which to raise their children or their parents at home.

Do you every worry that you might be arrested again?
I know that can happen because many NLD members who were imprisoned and released, were arrested again. This has happened to some of us who have been imprisoned for 17 years, 18, 19, 20 years and even longer. So I am aware the same can happen to me, but jail is not in my thoughts right now.

Which wise people have had an influence on you?
I have mostly been influenced by my parents, even though I lost my father when I was small. My mother taught me to respect values such as integrity, taught by my father when he was still alive. Later on, I was inspired by Bishop Desmond Tutu, not because of his conviction about doing good things, but because he possesses such a big spirit which enables him to always go forward.

When was the last time you celebrated your birthday?
I think about seven years ago. I don’t remember. I remember my birthday only after I listen to the radio and hear how the NLD and supporters outside Burma celebrate my birthday.

You don’t miss those celebrations?
Not really (laughing).

***

Aung San Suu Kyi


Place & Date of Birth:
Rangoon, Burma, June 19, 1945

Education:
- BA in Philosophy, Lady Shri Ram College, University of Delhi, India (1964)
- BA in Philosophy, Politics & Economics, Oxford University (1969)
- PhD, School of Oriental & African Studies, University of London (1985)

Career:
- Fellow, Indian Institute of Advanced Studies, Simla, India
- Secretary-General, National League for Democracy (1988)

Periods under Detention:
- House Arrest (1989-1991)
- House Arrest (2000-2002)
- Unknown Detention Site (3 months in 2003)
- House Arrest (2003-2010)

Selected Awards:
- Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought by European Parliament (1991)
- Nobel Peace Prize (1991)
- Simon Bolivar Prize from UNESCO (1995)
- Mahatma Gandhi International Award for Peace & Reconciliation (2009)
- Ambassador of Conscience by Amnesty International (2009)

Selected Authored Books:
• Aung San of Burma: A Biographical Portrait by His Daughter (1991, 2nd edition 1995)
• Burma's Revolution of the Spirit: The Struggle for Democratic Freedom and Dignity with Alan Clements, Leslie Kean, the Dalai Lama, Sein Win (1994)
• Freedom from Fear and other Writings with Václav Havel, Desmond M. Tutu, and Michael Aris (1995)


Tempo, No. 17/XI/December 22-28, 2010

No comments: